Each year Granfalloon brings together scholars and writers for a series of discussions on Kurt Vonnegut and a wide range of social, cultural, and political issues addressed in his work. The Granfalloon 2019 Academic Conference will once again span the IU campus and the City of Bloomington to encourage thoughtful conversations across the community.
2019 Academic Conference
Friday, May 10
Panel: Reading and Writing with Vonnegut
9:00-10:30 a.m. Lilly Library
- "A Hoosier Hero's Hoosier Heroes"
- Isabel Planton (Indiana University)
- "About Edgard Derby: Trauma and Grief in the Unpublished Drafts of Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-Five"
- Jeremy Justus (University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown)
- "Tralfamadorian Reading Theory in the Novels of Kurt Vonnegut"
- Marc Leeds
Panel: Vonnegut's Local/Family Ties
10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. Lilly Library
- "Vonnegut's Rosewater County and Muncie, Indiana: Parallels from Past and Present"
- Rai Peterson (Ball State University)
- Jim Shimkus (Ball State University)
Panel: Vonnegut and Bodies in Time
1:00-2:30 pm. Lilly Library
- "Unstuck: War, Time, and the End of the World"
- Roy Scranton (University of Notre Dame)
- "Moby Dick and Playacting Value in the Novels of Kurt Vonnegut"
- Jonathan Alfonso (Indiana University)
- "'Spastic in Time': Time and Disability in Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five"
- Adam Barrows (Carleton University)
Panel: Contemporary Writing and Hoosier Identity
5:00-7:00 p.m. Night and Day (118 N. Walnut St.)
- Adrian Matejka
- Cathy Day
- Deborah Kennedy
- Moderator: Leah Nahmias (Indiana Humanities)
Keynote: An Evening with Dave Eggers
7:00-8:30 p.m. Buskirk-Chumley Theater
Saturday, May 11
Panel: Contemporary Indiana Arts and Social Justice
9:00-10:15 a.m. Bloomington City Council Chambers
- Lauren Pacheco (Destination Gary)
- Phyllis Boyd (IndyGroundwork)
- Wes Janz (Ball State University)
Panel: "Vonnegut: Requiem" Composers
10:30-11:30 a.m. Bloomington City Council Chambers
- Cary Boyce (Spokane)
- Malcolm Dalglish (Bloomington)
- Don Freund (Bloomington)
- Stacy Garrop (Chicago)
- Gabriel Lubell (Gambier, Ohio)
- Moira Smiley (Vermont)
- Dale Trumbore (Los Angeles)
- Moderator: Mark Chilla
Panel: Writing, Incarceration, and Social Justice
11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Dimension Mill (642 N. Madison St.)
- Lindsey Badger (New Leaf New Life)
- Michelle Brekke (New Leaf New Life)
- Frank Brown Cloud (Midwest Pages for Prisoners)
- Dave Eggers
- Max Smith (New Leaf New Life)
- Moderator: Lisa-Marie Napoli (Indiana University)
Keynote: Suzanne McConnell
12:00-1:15 p.m. Bloomington City Council Chambers
"Made Boisterous by....Creativity": Vonnegut on the Craft of Writing
Panel: Apocalyptic Vonnegut
1:30-2:45 p.m. Bloomington City Council Chambers
- "Vonnegut in Biafra or How KV Discovered Better Living Through Community in the Final Days of an African Republic"
- Josh Simpson (Sullivan University)
- "The Playboy Interview: Madness and the Spiritual Climax of Breakfast of Champions"
- Amelia Atkinson (Indiana University)
- "Atomic Aesthetics in Cat's Cradle"
- Fran McDonald (University of Louisville)
Vonnegut's Wounded America
3:00-4:30 p.m. Bloomington City Council Chambers
- "Vonnegut's President"
- Aaron Jaffe (Florida State University)
- "Vonnegut's Enemy"
- Ed Comentale (Indiana University)
- "Vonnegut's Casandra"
- Marjorie Worthington (Eastern Illinois University)